USTC Rule 200(a)(3) – Nonattorney Applicants

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by SherrillTrovato SherrillTrovato 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    EricLee
    EricLee
    Participant

“Written examinations for applicants who are not attorneys at law will be held no less often than every 2 years.” 

This is the minimum standard for offering the tax court exam. Given the continuous stream of new taxpayers filing returns for the first time and the advancement of IRS technology in processing and collecting taxes, it seems inevitable that there will be more cases that will be crossing the threshold for filing with the tax court. I’m sure this notion is not lost on the administrators of the tax court. Our population is not getting any smaller in the U.S.

Has there been any chatter of the tax court exam being offered more frequently than the minimum stated in the rules?

SherrillTrovato
    SherrillTrovato
    Participant

not at all – there was a time (long ago) when it was offered annually, but I see no reason that they would suddenly skip to more than every other year.  They had to move from the Tax Court building as the exam site to the Reagan Int’l Center two cycles ago, I believe in part because of the number of applicants and the strain on Tax Court resources, but unless they would suddenly have a huge increase in the number taking the exam, I just don’t see them going to every year.

But any interesting idea.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.