United States Court of Federal Claims

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by SherrillTrovato SherrillTrovato 5 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    EricLee
    EricLee
    Participant

Can a USTCP represent a client in a claim in the United States Court of Federal Claims?

Carrie Corcoran
    Carrie Corcoran
    Participant

Looks like you have to be an attorney

http://www.uscfc.uscourts.gov/cfc-bar-admission

SherrillTrovato
    SherrillTrovato
    Participant

Thanks, Carrie for responding.  Not that I’ve ever heard … the ability to represent as a nonattorney is very limited in scope.

PeterSalveson
    PeterSalveson
    Participant

31 CFR § 10.2 – Definitions.
    (a) As used in this part, except where the text provides otherwise –

(1) Attorney means any person who is a member in good standing of the bar of the highest court of any state, territory, or possession of the United States, including a Commonwealth, or the District of Columbia.

SherrillTrovato
    SherrillTrovato
    Participant

Peter, the Tax Court is an Article 1 court, and I don’t believe it would qualify as a highest court in any of those descriptions.  You can check further if you want more clarification from Federal Claims court, but that is beyond the scope of this exam and wouldn’t be tested for this purpose.

SherrillTrovato
    SherrillTrovato
    Participant

for further clarification, this is what an Article 1 court is (google search):

Article I Courts Law and Legal Definition

Article I courts are those courts created by the Congress pursuant to its power under Article I of the Constitution. They include the following:

1.Territorial courts: These are federal courts located in the district of Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the Northern Mariana Islands.

2.U.S.Court of Military Appeals

3.U.S.Court of Veterans Appeals

4.U.S.Court of Federal Claims

5.U.S. Tax Court.

Article I courts are also referred to as legislative courts.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.