NonAttorney Practitioners

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by YuliyaHarvey YuliyaHarvey 2 days, 10 hours ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    PeterSalveson
    PeterSalveson
    Participant

“The non-attorney must also be sponsored by two persons who are admitted to practice before the Tax Court and each sponsor must send a letter of recommendation to the Admissions Clerk of the Tax Court.”

SherrillTrovato
    SherrillTrovato
    Participant

Yes – I’m not sure what your question is, so I’ll provide info I usually advise people who have questions about this provision.

You do not have to name your sponsors when you apply to take the exam – there is a place for their names on the app, but it’s sufficient to indicate that they’ll be named when appropriate (as in after you pass the exam).

Sponsors can be anyone who is admitted to the Tax Court bar, whether they are an attorney or a nonattorney.  They must provide a letter directly to the admission clerk after you’re notified that you’ve passed that meets Rule 200 – basically that they know you well enough to be able to say you’ll be a good addition to the Tax Court bar.

At the live sessions we’ll provide you with an opportunity to meet several USTCP mentors who will be available, along with instructors, to be sponsors – but we must know you well enough to meet the Rule 200 provisions, so I can’t make promises in advance.  I’m unaware that anyone who has passed ever failed to get sponsors, so I wouldn’t let that alarm you.

If I didn’t answer your question, let me know.

YuliyaHarvey
    YuliyaHarvey
    Participant

Hi Sherrill

Thank you for the answer, I was wondering about this one as well, I know through the classes as excellent instructors a lot of USTCP NAEAers (as IRS liaison said ones about EAs belonging to the NAEA : ) but none of them to the point that I would be comfortable asking to write a recommendation letter. I am happy to know that at the live sessions we will have the opportunity to meet personally and get to know (and get to be known) USTCP practitioners, not only for the sponsorship but also for the networking.

Thank you

Julia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.