Non-Attorney Representation (SSA)

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by DavidWoods DavidWoods 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    EricLee
    EricLee
    Participant

Someone brought representation before the Social Security Administration to my attention early part of this year when I started talking about sitting for the USTC exam. They have also have a rule that non-attorney can represent claimants.

Link: https://www.ssa.gov/representation/code_regs.htm  See Rule 404.1705(b) for language.

There seems to be a common thread here with the federal jurisdictions: “non-attorneys can practice if…….”

I love this stuff! Does anyone know of any other instances like this where non-attorneys can practice?

Disclaimer: This is for my own personal hobby as a tax law nerd. I have no idea what the limitations are of being a SSA representative, I have no experience with SSA. Additionally, if you find this post to be a waste of your time and not applicable to the USTC upcoming exam, I apologize.

• This topic was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by EricLee EricLee.
    DavidWoods
    DavidWoods
    Participant

Would seem to me that becoming a USTCP meets the qualifications under 404.1705(a)(1):

§ 404.1705. Who may be your representative.
    (a) You may appoint as your representative in dealings with us, any attorney in good standing who—

(1) Has the right to practice law before a court of a State, Territory, District, or island possession of the United States, or before the Supreme Court or a lower Federal court of the United States;

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.